Since our formation in 1966, the Friends of Waynesboro Library have been strong advocates for library funding, programming, and services. Annually the Friends provide funding for library programs, staff development, equipment and technology upgrades, literacy initiatives, and public awareness efforts. When issues arise that signal an immediate need, the Friends provide the means to fulfill those emerging needs, ensuring that the Library is able to meet the demands of the public.
The Friends are tireless volunteers at special programs and enthusiastic cheerleaders of new ideas pertaining to children’s literacy. From man-power to financial aid for supplies and speakers, we help make the Library’s programs possible for adult, teens, and children. We help this small Library do big things.
- Volunteers – We recruit volunteers who work some 3,000 hours for the Library annually.
- Summer Reading Program – Annually, we provide supplies for exciting programs, as well as prizes to reward children and teenagers for their reading hours.
- Genealogy – We pay the annual fees for the HeritageQuest database and provide funds to add materials to the Library’s local history collection..
- Annual Dinner – a chance for members to get together and enjoy an evening with an author or other local celebrity guest speaker
- Volunteer Appreciation – We host an annual appreciation party to thank the Library’s volunteers. We also recognize the Volunteer of the Year.
- Movies at the Library – We pay for licensing that allows the Library and patrons who use the facility to show movies. As a result, the Library hosts two Friday Night Movies each month for adults, as well as special showings for children.
- Equipment Purchases – In 2011, we purchased a new photocopy machine for the Local History Room, a new CD & DVD repair machine, and a ceiling-mounted LCD projector for the multi-purpose room.
- Special exhibits and programs such as Oceans in Motion, a hands-on mobile aquarium and Book-A-Trip Adult Summer Reading Program that won the Virginia Public Library Directors Association Outstanding Adult Programs Award for 2012.
- Genealogy & Local History Room – We purchased items, helping to create one of the best local history collections in the area.
- Advocacy and promotion of a $2 million bond referendum for Library renovations that was approved in 2007.
- Library Renovation Phase I – We provided $10,000 so that the Library could hire an architect to plan renovations and gave $260,000 toward furnishing.
The Friends of the Library have been an integral part of Waynesboro Public Library since their inception in 1964. The Friends are strong advocates for library funding, are enthusiastic cheerleaders of new ideas pertaining to children’s literacy, and are tireless volunteers. Annually the Friends provide critical financial support for library programs, staff development, equipment and technology upgrades. Thanks to the Friends, this small Library is able to do big things."~Zahir Mahmoud, Library Director
Join us now and become a Friend of the Library
Your annual membership dues help support programming and technology
that keeps the Waynesboro Public Library a vital community center.