2015

The Friends sponsor the Library’s Centennial Celebration.

2014

The Friends and the City share the expense for renovating the Library’s former garage, including the façade and door, to create a staging area for regular book sales.

2013

Dedication of the Edward and Betty Menaker Children’s Room, made possible by generous donations from their sons Lawrence and Richard Menaker.

 

The Friends donate $221,546 for children’s furnishings, book shelves, and other aspects of the Library’s Phase I Renovation.

 2012

The Virginia Library Association recognizes the Friends with its Friends of the Library Award for their dedicated support of the Waynesboro Public Library.

 

Dedication of the Jeane Custin Young Adults Room and the Ann Eckman Internet Café.

2011

The Friends purchase a photocopy machine for the Local History Room, a new CD/DVD repair machine, and a ceiling-mounted LCD projector for the main program room.

 2010

The Friends donate $10,000 for architectural services to plan renovations to the Library building.

2007

The Friends advocate and lobby for the successful passage of a $2 million bond referendum for Library renovations.

2006

Anne Kidd is honored by the Waynesboro City Council with the establishment of Anne Kidd Day in recognition of her thirty years of service to the Library including being the Friends’ President and Genealogy and Local History Chair.

 

The Friends fund in-service training for Library staff, a tradition that continues annually.

2005

The Friends fund Heritage Quest, an online genealogical database for use by Library patrons. This subscription has continued annually through the present time.

2004

The Friends help sponsor the first annual Book ‘Em, a new program to help fight crime with literacy, with the Waynesboro Police Department under the leadership of Mark Kearney.

2002

Jean Mehler is honored by a resolution of the Waynesboro City Council for twenty years of extraordinary service as a board member of the Friends and the Library Trustees.

 

The local history collection is named in honor of Dorothy Rheinbold who retired after 37 years as the Library Director

 

The Friends host a ceremony and reception to honor members Richard and Mary Hupman, Sam and Sallie Hupman, Catherine Hupman Jackson, and Anne Kerr, the benefactors who made major renovations of the Children’s Reading Area possible.

2001

Dedication of the George Lundeen life size sculpture, Classics, in honor of longtime Friends volunteer Phil Tipton and as  a tribute to all library volunteers

2000

The Friends pay for renovations of Children’s workstation and front desk.

 

The City recognizes Kirk Snell for 12 years of service on the Friends board.

1998

The Hupman Memorial Fund is established for major improvements and/or expansion of the Library’s existing facilities and/or services.

 

The Samuel and Mary Hupman Adult Reading Area is dedicated.

 

Former Friends board members Marion Carson and Richard Wolke are honored with elegant memorial bookcases in the adult reading area.

 1997

The Friends purchase an Aladdin Reader, a mechanism designed to assist people with vision challenges, for the Library.

 

Richard D. Hupman establishes a staff training scholarship fund in the name of his mother-in-law, Lelia R. Beck.

 1996

The Constance W. Rader Out-Door Reading Area and Memorial Garden is created with memorial contributions and dedicated. The gazebo and garden honors Connie’s dedicated service to both the Library and the Friends.

 

Friends volunteers Bob Kerby, Bill Nichols, and Kirk Snell upgrade the Library’s computers.

 

The Friends purchase copies of the 1886-1920 Waynesboro Sanborn Fire Insurance maps from the Library of Congress for the local history collection.

1992

Two maple rocking chairs are dedicated as a memorial to Joseph Devoyt. Joe held the record for nine years of service as the Friends’ treasurer.

 1991

The Friends receive the Friends Achievement Award from the Virginia Library Association for outstanding service and achievement.

 1990

The Friends help the Library celebrate its 75th anniversary,

 

Friends’ volunteers assisted with the conversion to an automated circulation system.

 1983

The Book Sale begins in the Library’s garage with tables borrowed from a local church.

 1973

Volunteer Services Program begins under the leadership of Connie Rader with five recruits.

1969

New Library building was dedicated, made possible in part by fundraising and advocacy by the Friends.

1966

The Friends donate the 56 volume set Chronicles of America to the Library’s collection, purchased with the Dinwiddle Fund.

 

The Friends publish their first first newsletter and hold their first membership drive.

 

The Friends first memorial fund is set up in memory of Dr. J. G. Dinwiddle, long time member of the Library’s Board of Trustees.

 

Founding of the Friends of the Waynesboro Public Library on February 8.

 1915

The first home of the Waynesboro Public Library was dedicated on June 15 and the Library began serving its community.